How to fail miserably at raising a bilingual child? (…)
1. Make a sincere effort to be so consumed with work and personal interests that you have as little time as possible to spend with your child. (…)
2. Commit firmly to remaining disinterested in information which concerns the raising of bilingual children (…).
4. Inconsistency is key to your actions. Don’t let yourself fall into the trap of regular routines when it concerns the child’s language development.
5. Do your utmost to avoid speaking to the child.
6. Strive to read aloud to your child as infrequently as possible.
7. Make sure you have no more than half a dozen old, ratty picture books in your home. A good rule of thumb is one book per child. If you have more than six children, instruct the smallest ones to share a single book. You will be teaching the importance of sharing at the same time. (…)
After reading the text, think of the questions below and write an answer to ONE of them:
1. What other “advice” could you add to this list?
2. Make your own list of tips for failing in learning English.
3. Make your own list of tips for succeeding in learning English.